Saturday, January 8, 2011

More Judge Dredd!

I could really get rolling on Joe Dredd (and his tragically corrupt twin brother), and maybe I will. I was such a fan of Eagle Comics' Judge Dredd reprint book at one point, I talked my dad's best friend's wife-- she was a native of the UK and a naturalized US citizen-- ask her relatives to send me issues of 2000 A.D. I was the only kid in south Georgia in the early-t0-mid 80s who was a regular reader of the "Galaxy's Greatest Comic!" They didn't put out issues, the released "progs."

Unfortunately, the writing was in a kind of moribund phase and I didn't find any of the storylines particularly compelling. Nothing came close to matching the classic "Judge Cal" storyline, or the "Judge Child Quest" or the time Dredd had to drive this huge armored vehicle across the Cursed Earth-- a post-apocalyptic wasteland full of poisonous rats, horrible mutants and malfunctioning technology left over from previous eras-- to deliver medicine to Mega City Two out on the west coast. I did have the Special with "Block Out at the Crater Bowl," with art by none other than John Byrne, though. That was a pleasant surprise, because I was a big Byrne fan then, too.

The point of all this rambling is-- here's a cool blog review of Medicom's Stallone-as-Dredd figure from 1995. 1/6th scale action figures weren't as popular in 1995 as they are today. Assuming they're still popular; I dropped out of that racket a few years ago when I stopped being able to afford them. I do know some of the stuff Hot Toys puts out looks almost museum quality, though!

No comments: