Friday, August 28, 2009

Jack Kirby's Birthday Should Be a National Holiday

August 28th. If I ever have a family, we're always going to take that day off to honor the memory of Jack "The King" Kirby, who is hands down my favorite comic book creator of all time. And not only for his vastly influential comic book work, but also because I've read so many wonderful stories about him from people who knew him personally and he just seems to have been an all-together awesome sort of person.

Even if he'd never put pencil to paper, I'd have a warm spot in my heart for someone who hated Richard Nixon and loved chocolate cake (and especially Roz) that much.

So happy birthday, Mr. Kirby! They may never let out schools to honor your memory, but whenever I read your comics or the reminiscences of your friends and colleagues, it's summer vacation 1974 all over again for me.

No comments: