Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Captain Kirk: The Next Iteration!

"Come back! Come back, you disloyal bastards!"

Kirk's a bit overworked, I think. But I haven't painted in a long while. This is the first time I've ever painted the Enterprise-- still have a ways to go on the ship. Overall, I want this to look like an insane version of something you might see on one of those old Star Trek paperbacks from Bantam, the ones where James Blish adapts various episodes as short stories. Those things were awesome and they had the coolest cover art.

And next a little surprise...

"WE ARE SEX BOB-OMB! ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR!"

Yeah, it's Alison Pill as Kim Pine from Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World. This is the preliminary stage where I'm just laying down colors. I can already see I'll need to fix her left hand. Also, here's hoping I can take what I've learned from Kirk up there and not over-render this. I'd like the finish to be sort of 60s paperback cover style. As if Alan Drury, James Michener or Mary Ellen Chase wrote a bestseller about Kim Pine and it came out in a mass market softcover edition just before the release of the prestige studio motion picture adaptation directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz and starring Julie Christie as Kim Pine.

No comments: