Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Now That We're All Tired of Looking at My Crappy Art...

Here's a magnifique version of Supergirl by Steve "The Dude" Rude. I'm not a big fan of the current Supergirl. I much prefer the old school one when she was largely cheerful and relatively clothed. Steve Rude, however, gives the contemporary Supergirl some much-needed dignity.

Along with my "re-imagined" Cass Cain Batgirl, I thought up a Supergirl who was as conversant about Jacques Derrida as she was about Tokyo street fashion and whose biggest problem was biting off more than she could chew by trying too hard to make the world a better place. But superheroes who like twee-rock and building 100 houses in one day for Habitat for Humanity aren't "in" these days. The kids-- and by kids, I mean the 30-somethings who still read super-comics-- are more into their brooding, depressed heroes and their malt shops and hamburger sandwiches and dancing the Lindy Hop until 9pm like a bunch of hooligans.

No comments: