Saturday, March 20, 2010

I Went Looking For Italian Zombie Horror Comics...

And found them-- perverse though they may be-- as well as a fascinating discussion of mental transactions that occur when a reader confronts the gutters between panels. Curt Purcell-- of one of the coolest blogs I've ever encountered, The Groovy Age of Horror-- discusses one of Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics points, gets some thought-provoking comments, responds in kind, and McCloud himself weighs in on his own blog. I never took McCloud's point as literally as Purcell seems to have, but I love when people much smarter than myself dissect or deconstruct theories like this.

In fact, this is the kind of comics criticism I enjoy most, and now I have a new blog to read. It also helps there's a Pixies video as well as a review of Katherine Dunn's grotesque yet touching novel Geek Love. But if you're offended by erect zombie penises, you probably shouldn't go there.

No comments: